Thursday, November 14, 2013

Good Dog, Ted!

So, I'm finally getting back to this blog after being gone for 2 weeks helping Jenna with her Wizard of Oz play.  First, let me say that Ted is a GREAT puppy!  He continues to potty in the yard and has only had a couple accidents in the house overall.  We did have a couple times when he pottied in the basement when we were down there working.  In class, our trainer suggested that we spend time with the dog in the room he is using as a bathroom so he considers it part of our house, and not his toilet.  We have done that and had no further incidents.  Yay!  Ted now has the run of the upstairs at night.  After a couple incidents of literally eating Abby's homework (which was left out on the couch), he has been very good.  (YEP, Abby went to school and told the teacher, "The dog ate my homework.")  This is a blessing in and of itself!

Last week, during class, we learned more about walking and also about the "down" command.  We don't have as much opportunity to walk Ted since the weather has changed, but I have done it a couple times.  He's largely compliant with his front harness.  He occasionally pulls but falls in line when I keep walking or walk backwards.  I suppose more time and practice will be telling.

I also did the "down" command a couple times.  I had Ted on his leash and said "down."  I was pleasantly surprised that Ted complied with the command in less than a minute.  It was wonderful!  I remember doing this with our Beagle 15 years ago and it taking about 20 minutes the first time.  I'd say we're off to a good start and that Ted has a really easy-going temperment.


I'm going to close on that note.  Off to Jenna's ballet showcase and then to dog training class.  Good dog, Ted!  We love you to pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment